Their death sentence for the failed 2024 coup effort was appointed to life in prison.
Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) President Felix Zisekedi downgraded the death sentences for three U.S. citizens who were convicted of taking part in a failed coup last year, reducing the penalty to life in prison.
According to President’s spokesman Tina Salam, Tshiseekedi issued a commutive on Tuesday. Six months after 34 Americans were sentenced to death on charges of “terrorism” and “crime association.”
Six people were killed in a failed coup attempt last May.
Malaga, along with an armed male crew, targeted the Presidential Palace in Kinshasa and close allies of Tsushisekedi.
Malanga was fatally shot while resisting arrest shortly after live streaming his attack on social media, the Congolese army said.
Marcel Malanga, the 21-year-old son of Malanga, a US citizen, was among those convicted of taking part in the coup.
Other Americans are Tyler Thompson Jr., a young Malanga high school friend who flew from Utah to Africa because his family believed it was a free holiday, and Benjamin Reuben Zalman Porn, 36, who is reportedly known to be known Christian Malanga through a gold mining company.
Marcel Malanga told the court that his father forced him and Thompson to take part in the attack.
“Dad had threatened to kill us if we didn’t follow his orders,” he said earlier at the hearing.
Most others convicted of involvement in an attempted rebellion were Congolese, but also included British, Belgians and Canadians.
The American commutive comes in an effort by Congolese authorities to sign a mineral contract with the United States in exchange for security support to help Kinshasa fight rebels in conflict-hit eastern regions.
On Tuesday, the US State Department announced that President Donald Trump’s new senior adviser to Africa, Massad Boulos, traveled to the DRC earlier this month to advance efforts for sustainable peace in the Eastern DRC and increased private sector investment.
Source link