Local authorities say at least 50 people were injured in ballistic missile attacks on residential areas.
According to President Voldodymyr Zelenskyy, at least 14 people, including six children, have been killed in a Russian missile attack on a residential area in the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih, making it one of Moscow’s most deadly strikes this year.
President Donald Trump pushed a ceasefire in the war, destroying residential blocks and causing fires on Friday’s attack on Zelensky’s hometown, Dnipropetrovsk Gov. Serei Raisac wrote on the telegram messaging app.
The dead and injured were seen lying on the pavement, one of the playgrounds, in an unverified video circulating in telegrams as grey smoke rose into the sky.
At least 50 people were injured, adding that the numbers are growing, according to the emergency services. More than 30 people have been admitted to the hospital, including a 3 month old baby, Rysack said.
According to the Human Rights Ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets, Russian troops used ballistic missiles on strike.
Such weapons are only minutes to reach the target, and are difficult to fire down for everything except high-end air defense.
“It’s not a single military facility, it’s just a civilian infrastructure,” Rubinets wrote in Telegram.
The Russian Ministry of Defense said it had launched a missile at a gathering of Ukrainian military personnel and foreign instructors in the city.
“As a result of the strike, the enemy’s losses totaled up to 85 military personnel and foreign officers, as well as up to 20 vehicles,” the ministry said in a telegram.
Zelenskyy said on Friday that rescue operations were ongoing and called on the west to put great pressure on Moscow.
“The whole world is watching it. Each missile, every attack drone, proves that Russia is only looking for war,” he wrote in the telegram.
Previously, Russia launched a barrage of drones in an overnight attack, killing at least four people and injuring 35 people in the northeastern city of Kharkiv, regional officials said.
This week, on the fourth city strike so far, Russian drones collided in a residential quarter, causing damage to several multi-star apartment blocks and causing multiple fires.
Zelenskyy also said Russia launched a drone attack at a thermoelectric power plant in the southern city of Kherson, accusing Moscow of violating a US-brokered moratorium on attacks on energy infrastructure.
Later on Friday, the Russian drone launched another “large” attack on Cliviy Lee, assisted by local officials, adding that the strike caused fires in four different parts of the city.
The US said last week it agreed to stop Russia and Ukraine from strikes on each other’s energy infrastructure.
The two sides have since accused each other of flouting the contract.
Kyiv previously said it had agreed to the US proposal for a completely unconditional 30-day ceasefire, but Russia has rejected such a step in separate consultations with US officials.
Source link