US Senator Lindsey Graham called Eli Charbitt nomination “beyond the issue” as Chief of Sin Bett.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu overturned the appointment of a former naval commander to Israeli spy chief amid criticism from the US.
Netanyahu’s office said Tuesday that it had withdrawn its nomination the day after the prime minister proposed Admiral Eli Sharbit as the next chief of the domestic security agency Singh Bett. The trouble follows criticism from the US, a major supporter of the Israeli government’s war in Gaza and military exploitation of the wider region.
In a statement, his office announced that he had notified Sharbit “after further consideration” that Netanyahu “will be considering other candidates” about his job leading the spy agency.
The Prime Minister announced Monday that he would nominate Charbit, despite the Supreme Court order blocking his bid to fire incumbent Lornenber.
The announcement led to criticism from Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, a key ally of US President Donald Trump. He cited comments from Sharbitt Trump about his abandonment of efforts to combat climate change, promote fossil fuels, and abandoning efforts to brand his nominations “beyond the issues.”
“The statements made by Eli Sharbit about President Trump and his policies will create unnecessary stress at critical times,” Graham said. “My advice to a friend in Israel is [to] Change courses and better screening. ”
Trump is seen as nodding to Netanyahu’s new onslaught in Gaza and the flexion of Israeli military power throughout the region. The US offers many of the weapons used in Israeli campaigns.
“Some screams”
Sharbit’s naming evokes the rage of some members of the Israeli governing coalition, reflecting the fact that a former naval commander joined in protest against Netanyahu’s attempts to reform the judiciary in 2023, reminiscing that he supported the 2022 water agreement with Lebanon, the prime minister opposed.
Israeli Heritage Minister Amichey Eliyahu criticised the appointment at X for nominating The Sharbitt as Barr’s successor. As an alternative to the bar, he was officially fired for failing to stop Hamas’ attacks while investigating the Prime Minister’s alleged corruption.
Eliyahu said that Sharvit shares Bar’s “Kaplanist Worldview” and believes that democracy must be protected by “gatekeepers” who insist that “understand what’s right and right for them better than people.”
Opposition leader Yair Lapid denounced Netanyahu for succumbing to criticism.
“The Chin Bett’s leader is not just an alias. It’s not a job to announce 24 hours later for some screams and regret it. This is the most sacred and a violation of national security,” he said in X.
Sharvit’s appointment followed Bar’s controversial firing on March 21, citing “continuous lack of trust.” The Supreme Court quickly halted its decision until April 8th.
Burr argues that his expulsion was motivated by his desire to stop the “pursuit of truth” about the events that took place until October 7th.
Last month, Singh Bett released a report that he acknowledged that Hamas-led attack should be hampered, criticizing Netanyahu for helping to create conditions for the attack.
The Prime Minister has previously resisted the official state commission’s call for an investigation into the events of October 7, 2023.
His decision came to dismiss the bar after the Israeli officials in charge during the Hamas attack were forced to resign, including then Minister Joab Gallant and Army Secretary Herzi Halevi.
Source link